Snickers Story

*Thursday, 20th March 2008*

If you ask me what chocolate bar I like, the answer will be Snickers. There's a story behind it actually.

When I was 9 or 10 years old, my parents sent me to this tuition centre somewhere nearby my mom's ex-employer's house after school. I used to call her Aunty. She stayed with another older aunt (I call her "Mami") as her daughter was working in Singapore and her husband in Canada.

So, every night after tuition, around 10 o' clock, Aunty will come and pick me back to her house. Then dad will come over to pick me from her house after he off work (for your info, my dad is a workaholic, he start work around 7.30 - 8.00 am till 10.00 - 11.00 pm for 6 days, every week).

Sometimes I'll follow Aunty to walk her dog, Mickey around the neighbourhood while waiting for my dad to come. And when it's raining or she got some sewing works to do, I'll sit at the living room cum working area, read her daughter's old comic books such as Mandy (anyone heard of this before?) or watch TV.

Remember the other older aunt I mentioned earlier? One night, Aunty switched on the Redifusion (remember this? the big black box that act as a radio) and went to kitchen, left me alone at the living room. Then suddenly, it started to tell ghost stories (OMG!) and I was there alone! I can't off it as the switch is too high to reach so I ended up sitting and trembling... I wanna run to the kitchen but my feet doesn't want to.

Then luckily, Mami came to the living room with her walking stick and ask me whether I want chocolate. I say ok and she gave me a bar of Snickers (it was quite a big serving for me that time as my parents never allow me to have one whole bar of chocolate to myself). On my first bite, I totally forgotten about the ghost story... my mind was only on the chocolate. I like peanuts, so I found the chocolate absolutely delicious! And since I can have the whole bar to myself, I felt really pampered at the moment.

Photobucket
Snickers original



And so, I've been a loyal fan on Snickers till today (that doesn't mean I don't eat other types of chocolate, but Snickers is my favourite). Everytime I buy a bar of Snickers, I'll think of Mami. Although she's no longer here in this world, the memory of her will remain within me.

11 comments:

savante said...

Does that make you the original Anak Mami?

Anonymous said...

Snickers. Yum.. Have you tried the almond one? Double yum!!

Little Prince said...

so sweet.

Ganymede said...

Awwww so sweet but dem funny la. Wakakakak. :P

Janvier said...

*snicker*

Alex said...

A Snicker at night keeps the ghost away.

Jason said...

Savante,
I'm not as ahbeng as that!

KL Fairy,
Haven't tried the almond. Been a loyal fan of the original one :)

DanielHenry,
Yeah, Mami is a sweet person.

QR,
Apa funny!

Janvier,
*snigger*

Alex,
That will turn me into a fat monster!

Glog said...

Awww...
Such a nice story to top it with all those nostalgic creation which are now part of the museum...
Mandy comics are really old and that Rediofusion thingy is still hanging on my kitchen wall... Loved the sound of it in the mosning where it goes "negaraku" and all those stories and news... I sould love to have it back!!!

Lifebook said...

Nice banner... It will be prefect with your latest ^-^ picture woh.. LOL

William said...

Fast to change your banner! Use Pic 15!!!!

I'm not a fan of Snickers... it's nice to have something that links us to the past.

Jason said...

Glog,
Yeah... Mandy comic was really old. I think my parents threw the Redifusion box already.

Lifebook,
Thanks to Nasser for the banner :)

William,
Eh.. no no! Pic 15 is a bit too cheeky lah.