Something Fishy

*Monday, 23rd July 2007*

I love fish. Not that I like to eat them, but keep them. I only like certain type of fishes; small, colourful, freshwater type such as neon tetra, swordtails and lemon tetra.

When I start keeping fish, my tank was only measuring about 40cm long and 25cm width. I was in secondary school that time and a tank with that size is considered big for me. Initially, I start to kept zebra danios, goldfishes, guppies, gouramis and so on but my favourites remain in the Tetra or Characidae family.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

When I went back home last 2 weeks ago, my brother did beautify my tank which now is already changed to a 2 metre long tank. When I first get the tank, I also get the sand, pebbles, boulders and artificial water plants as I like to make my babies comfortable to their new home. Fish are subjected to shock and pressure when placed in an empty tank and therefore, get sick and die easily.

Why artificial plants and not the real water weeds which is popular among aquarists now? Cos the maintenance cost is an issue to me. Water plants are quite expensive depending on their size and availability. And in order to kept them healthy, you'll need to add carbon dioxide (CO2), fertilisers (categorised in different types of mineral compund) and a better water filtration system.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Artifial plants are easier to take care of. They do not grow (no trimming needed), and the leaves do not brown. No fertilisers needed, no carbon dioxide needed. Save me a lot of money! :P

5 comments:

Janvier said...

And we was looking for fishies in the piccies...

Jason said...

LOL... the fishies moved to fast for my humble cam la, Janvier.

Fable Frog said...

Wah~ the tank so beautiful, i will also be happy in the tank oh!! I love aquarium too, but too bad i am not good at all with fishes and aquatic creature~ hmmmp! must learn from you!

Jason said...

Fable Frog: Thanks, sure no problem :)

Anonymous said...

My

hairdresser bought one of these flat irons from his distributor knowing that my hair would provide the usual great testing platform. It worked so well I bought one immediately. The iron glides through hair

very easily and is lightweight and easy to handle. Better than ceramic irons and definitely better than the ones you can buy in beauty stores.