Ping My Dar

*Thursday, 12nd July 2007*

I was always amazed that my fellow gay friends are able to detect another gays nearby. Me, on the other hand unable even feel even the slightest signal, which simply mean that my "sensor" is rusty and rendered unusable. "Sensor"... that's the term we called it in Ipoh.

When I first met Nigel and J, I never sense anything about them until they revealed their true identity to me which caused me a shock (no, should be double shock). And somehow, the term "ping your dar" or "ping my dar" was introduced to me. That derived from the word 'ping' (you know in the movies where the sound came out when enemies were detected in the radar?) and 'dar' from the word "gaydar" which means 'gay radar' (sensor laa).

During my recent visit to a restaurant at Bukit Bintang with Nigel and other bunch of floggers (food bloggers), there's this guy; age around 30s, in a tight T-shirt, muscular body came up to the 2nd floor where we were seated to the wash room. Nigel, along with his boyfriend (partner I'd say) quipped that guy "pinged their dar", which basically means... that guy's gay.

But until I learned how to feel the presence of another gay or how to see that person's gay, I guess the term of "ping my dar" will not came out from my lips.

2 comments:

Ganymede said...

Takes sometime to acquire it. Just follow your bunch of friends around and take note of the people that "pinged" them.

That's how I got my gaydar. :P

Jason said...

QR: Tried that many many many times but my gaydar simply not working. Guess I'm old.