Kindness Still Exists

*Wednesday, 16th April 2008*

Something happened in front of me last night.

The light bulb in the bathroom died 2 mornings ago so me decided to head over to Leisure Mall to get a replacement and also for dinner as well.

Was in McD, hungrily attacking my McChicken (note to self: must get LARGE set next time) when a Chinese mid-aged woman came in with a walking stick and started to beg for money. It seems that none of the patrons were sympathetic to her though.

After a while, she sat down at a table where two patrons just left (Malaysian style; they don't clear the table after finished eating) and start eating/drinking from the leftovers.

A Malay girl (I assumed it's a girl) who happened to be the staff there saw her and went over to clear the trays and trash, and left the woman. She continue to sit there and staring into blank-ness for a while.

Me decided to buy her a meal. Just before I could take out my wallet, the staff came back with a burger and drink and placed them in front of the woman. Instantly, her face brighten up, smile and thank the girl repeatedly (with both palms did like praying) and wallop her meal in gusto.

I smiled. I think I'm touched.

But it left me ponder a while. Did the girl just do a good deed, or it's McD?

11 comments:

savante said...

Definitely the girl, I should think. Even if McD had footed the bill, she'd been the one with the heart.

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think McD has the policy of giving free meals to homeless or aged citizens. Imagine if they have, they would have announced it and imagine how many homeless people you would see in every McD outlet. Lol...

It's the girl herself who bought a meal for that old lady.

Ganymede said...

*sob sob

Me gonna cry...

*sob sob

Janvier said...

Will be the girl lah, either out of pocket or from her lunch allowance (do employees get free food?). How nice of her.

Unknown said...

I think it's her. Waa the lady must be so hungry. So kesian her...

Jason said...

To all,
I think it's the girl too but meal allowance? Not sure though.

Sam said...

I think I'm going to cry.

Every time I think I'm down on my luck with absolutely no cash - I always remember that there's worse people out there. It doesn't matter who foots out the bill for the woman, what matters is we help those who really need it.

ernloy said...

a touching one indeed...

BravingKL said...

that's a truly heart-warming little tale. thanks for sharing.:)

Jason said...

Sam,
Even if you're penniless, you're still at home. :)

Ernloy,
Hello, thanks for visiting.

Braving KL,
Hello there. You're welcome.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.